Sunday, September 27, 2009

September's End

I can't believe we are already to the end of September! Time flies when you're working yourself to the bone I guess. With the jumping "beasts" finally contained we set off on the next venture. Not a really tasteful venture, but needed none the less. Worming. We try and practice more natural or holistic ways of living around here and have found much success with this way of living. We try and concentrate on building a stronger immune system first to hopefully overcome any obstacle thrown our way rather than just treat a symptom with conventional medicine. I've learned that goats are no different than people in that they become resistant to chemical wormers after a time just like people with antibiotic's. So we opted for an Herbal wormer to start our herd on. Within 24 hours of the first dose I found remnants of the worm load withOUT oopy poopies or the other nasties animals get when being dosed with poison. We'll see if this keeps them at bay with time. I did notice some detoxing in the baby with some runny eyes but those have since cleared up with Probiotic's added to her grain on a daily basis.
Hope continue's to be the "boss" and we have butted heads on a couple occassions. I can't say I care much for how goats treat each other when establishing the goat ladder ;-) They are so mean to each other!
The corn is starting to turn in the field finally and they should start taking that out soon around here. I have YET to get my own garden put to bed yet and will make that priority next week. I don't garden well with icicles dangling from my nose for some reason. Still need to split wood for at least another week to be ready for this winter and the meat chickens are still about three weeks out before they hit the freezer. And on and on it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment