Friday, September 18, 2009


After we figured out Plan B (electric) wasn't going to work as installed, we went to work on Plan C. We screwed what we had cut off the 8 ft. wooden posts previously back ON to the existing posts. We then took what we had left over of the fencing and cut a section in half. Giving us another 20 or so inches of fence up top. Now it looks OFFICIALLY built by Jed Clampett ;-) By the time we got done the sun was starting to go down and it dawned on me Houdini hadn't been milked. So to change it up a bit, we take her inside our new "milk room" and put her up on the new handy dandy milk stand husband had built me. Put a little grain in the bin and she jumped right up! Washed her up and started to milk her and got about four squirts out when she finished her grain. She decided that just sticking her foot in the milk bucket wasn't enough, she kicked it clean off the handy dandy milk stand and half way into the next county. Not once, but about four times. Now keep in mind... I am normally a very stubborn determined woman who has broke about twice in the last ten years, however I have been burning the candle at both ends for two weeks and am coming off this awful flu. I just put my head in my lap and start bawling. Hope just stands there, head cocked, looking at me as husband comes over and consoles me and talks me into calling it a night. We agree that it would be best to test our fence adjustments the next day.
The next morning he reluctantly leaves for work (probably thinking he should be reserving ME a rubber room somewhere instead) and after about an hour of coughin, hackin, and spittin I gather my strength to give it another shot. As I enter the Morton building, Houdini meets me at the door. She spent the night outside the pen and bedded down, I'm assuming, in husband's woodworking shop. Get her back in, feed her and Susie and go outside for some bonding time on the wooden spools. After about a half an hour I decide to give it a try. Go up towards the house and watch her. She paces and is her very vocal self. From the house I see her back up about ten steps and go charging towards the fence. BAM! Face first into the fence. Try's again. BAM! Face first into the fence. One last run...and BAM... face first into the fence! She then trots over and lays down with Susie, who is basking in the sun contently. She didn't try it again the rest of the day. She did however figure out that we had NOT extended the inside pen yet and I found her back in the woodworking shop about dinner time. So last night we finished up extending THAT pen as well. I'm on my way out now to see IF that worked ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment