Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Goat Rodeo

All my goat sources cite that you should not chase a goat to contain it, to gain it's trust with a treat and then corral it. Yeah okay. They don't tell you what to do IF the goat won't come close enough to you to TAKE a treat day after day after day. Said goat being baby Gizmo. So I finally decide that this isn't going to work in my situation. We are all in the inside pen and I decide that after all, it's not a WHOLE lotta space to chase after a little goat, right? I sort of corner him in one corner and baby talk him with it's okay, it's okay. Get about 12 inches from grabbing him and he jack-asses up in the air and takes off to the other corner. Well.... Hope is in the other corner and she butt's him up in the air and off he goes into ANOTHER corner. He's totally freaked now. Coax Hope out to the outside pen and tell her THANKS for her help (not) and shut the door. She's not happy now and while being VERY vocal, she's butting the door from the outside. More chaos. I sit in the middle of the pen with some grain. Come here baby. Come here baby. No way, no how. Get back on my feet and decide this is it! I'm catching THIS goat! Probably 3 miles of chasing and 10 minutes later he goes to one corner and I finally manage to grab a leg while in mid-air. Gotcha! I gingerly hold him for the longest time, petting him and talking to him. He at one point buries his head into my flannel. I think he almost went to sleep. Poor baby. I try offering him some of the grain he so dearly loves, to no avail. Manage to put a collar on him one handed and a lead. Place him back on the ground with about six inches of lead... just a little pressure on the lead...so he knows its there in hopes that he can't jack-ass back off from me and strangle himself. He stands there for awhile and listens to me baby talk him some more. I decide I'm worn out now and unleash him. He gave me a few choice words and then acted like nothing happened.
Next day I go out to the barn with some treats in hand and while Hope and Susie are mauling me for them, I guess Gizmo decides I'm not so bad after all. He actually TAKES the treat from my hand! Next day, he takes the treat from my hand and actually lets me touch him without retreat! We may be getting somewhere. We'll see ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment