Friday, March 4, 2011

There's That 3 Again!!!


So about THREE weeks ago I say to Randy...Did the chickens stop laying eggs again?? (as he hadn't brought in any in what seemed forever and I had to buy them at the store last week) He said "No..they're laying them all underneath the nests and there are THREE hens sitting on them. I want to try and hatch them." I just shook my head and sighed as we've tried this numerous times before with no success, that ended up with nothing but a stinky chicken coop. I also thought it was far too cold the previous weeks, I didn't care HOW many hens were sitting on them. Briefly looked online into an incubator for him for his birthday.

So this morning at the buttcrack of dawn he goes out to do feed the chickens and the bucks and I go out to check on the new goat babies and feed the rest. Meet him back at the house and he's dancing a jig like a little kid ;-)


WE HAVE CHICKS! I SAW ONE!!


Are you kidding me??


Nope! I saw one peek out from underneath one of the hens! Okay (smilin ear to ear)...I gotta go to work.


Ummm, not so fast Buster. We have to get a chick setup ready with a heat light, bedding, food and water. We can't just let them hang low with all the BIG chickens all day and I've got the Granddaughter due any minute.


So we slam together a chick setup and he goes underneath the hen and pulls out this itty bitty churping chick. He says... I think there is another one and hands the first one off to me. Hands that one off and sure enough....there is number THREE hiding up underneath her wing!!

Whoa...I need coffee!!



No comments:

Post a Comment